INSTANT POT GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN
A fast and easy chicken dinner with a creamy garlic parmesan sauce with chopped spinach. We like to eat this chicken and sauce with fettuccine noodles or with mashed potatoes.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless breasts sliced into 1/2 inch filets
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 oz coarsely chopped spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
To make with pasta:
- 10 ounces uncooked fettuccine noodles or linguine noodles
- 3 cups water
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting (more). When the display reads HOT add in the butter. Once the butter is melted add in the onions and saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the chicken broth, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Stir. Add in the mushrooms (if using) and chicken.
- Optional: If you want to cook pasta at the same time and in the same pot you can. Just get a pan that will fit inside your Instant Pot* and fill it with 3 cups or water and then break 10 ounces of fettuccine or linguine noodles to fit inside the pan (see my note below). Carefully place the pan on top of the chicken. I use a homemade silicone sling that I cut from a silicone baking mat* to lower my pan down onto the chicken. You can also make a foil sling.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 6 minutes (this is the cooking time for the 1/2 inch pieces of chicken breast, if they are thicker than that you may need more time). Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move the valve to “venting.”
- Remove the lid. If you are cooking pasta, carefully remove the pan of pasta and set aside. Use tongs to place the chicken on a platter. Loosely cover with foil. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Warm the half and half up in a pyrex measuring cup for 45 seconds in the microwave. Whisk the flour into the half and half until it’s smooth. Whisk the mixture into the Instant Pot. This will thicken up the sauce in a few minutes. Add in the parmesan cheese. Add in the spinach. Salt and pepper to taste. If using pasta, drain any water off of the pasta and stir into the pot.
- Serve sauce (and optional pasta) with the chicken.