Vegetarian Borscht – beetroot soup with sour cream
- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp ollive oil use only olive oil for a vegan version
- 3 large beetroot peeled
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large onion peeled
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 small crisp apple peeled (optional)
- 400 g | 14oz chopped tomatoes from a tin
- 2 litres | 8 1/2 cups hot vegetable stock I used 2 Kallo stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground allspice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- fresh dill to garnish
- sour cream to serve about 2 tbsp per serving omit for vegan version
- a little olive oil to drizzle
- Coarsely grate all the vegetables and apple - ideally using a food processor. If grating by hand, use a large box grater and take care to take as beetroot can stain your worktop (and certainly your hands).
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large pot and heat until butter melts.
- Tip all the grated vegetables/apple into the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, cloves and allspice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Lower heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Stir in a good handful of chopped fresh dill or add a little as a garnish.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a drizzle of olive oil and the puff pastry hearts if using.