Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste, for seasoning tomatoes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth you can use chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot, heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, fresh basil, and vegetable broth. Stir in the oven roasted tomatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the stockpot, or transfer soup to a food processor or blender to blend. The soup should be smooth, with a few tomato chunks. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve warm.
- Note-be careful when transferring the soup to a blender or food processor. You may want to wait until it is at room temperature to blend.