Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Garlic smashed potatoes are an easy side dish requires simple ingredients. Seasoned to perfection with garlic, olive oil and herbs, they are everyone’s favorite! Also suitable for vegans!
- 2 pounds Baby Potatoes (900g)
- 1 tbsp Salt + extra to taste
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- Fresh Chives
- ¼ cup Almonds , optional
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly under running water and place them in a large pot. Pour in water so that they are submerged but don’t over-fill the pot with water. They will cook faster. Add 1 tbsp of salt. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduced the heat to medium-low and simmer until they are soft.
- Meanwhile: Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and place them onto a baking tray. Smash them with a potato masher or a fork. Drizzle some olive oil over and sprinkle each one with salt and pepper. Bake on top shelf for 20 minutes or until they are crispy.
- Prepare the garlic “spread” by combining about 2 tablespoons of olive oil with minced garlic cloves. Mix well.
- Spoon a bit of the garlic “spread” onto each potato and spread it around. Sprinkle with paprika, dried oregano and finely chopped fresh chives. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Optional but recommended: While waiting for the potatoes to be baked, run some whole, skinned almonds through a food processor until crumb-like texture. Throw them onto a dry frying pan/skillet and toast them for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle these over each potato.
- Serve as an appetizer or side dish while still warm.