CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE
- 2½ pounds about 5 medium russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1¼ teaspoons table salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup 4 ounces grated Cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 425°F and spray an 8x8-inch (1½ quart) baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Peel and slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick, and place them in a large bowl. Pour the chicken broth and heavy cream over the potatoes; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat until oil shimmers. Add onion and cook until translucent and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook about 30 seconds to give the garlic time to bloom.
- Add potatoes, broth, cream and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes. (There should be some resistance when sticking a knife or fork in the middle of a potato.) Discard the bay leaves.
- Carefully transfer the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish. Press the potatoes, with a wooden or rubber spatula, to an even layer. (See *Note if wanting to make ahead.)
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the potatoes and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes or until the cream bubbles around the edges and the top is golden.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
- Allow potatoes to rest on a cooling rack 10 minutes before serving.