Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This easy, creamy chicken pot pie soup is made from scratch and the ultimate comfort food. We like to serve the soup with pie crust crackers, which are fun and easy to make. Enjoy a bowl for lunch or dinner!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour can use gluten-free flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2-2 cups milk we use 2%
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups shredded chicken or leftover turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Pie crust optional for making pie crust crackers, see note
- In a large soup pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, bay leaves, and potatoes. Sprinkle with flour and stir until veggies are coated and flour starts to dissolve.
- Add in the chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups milk, and fresh thyme. Stir and reduce the heat to low. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, peas, and corn. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add the additional 1/2 cup of milk.
- Stir in the parsley and remove the bay leaves. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with pie crust crackers, if desired.
- Note-to make the pie crust crackers, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out your favorite pie crust, store bought is fine. Carefully transfer pie crust to a large baking sheet that is lined with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Brush the pie crust with a little melted butter and sprinkle with a little salt. Cut into thick strips with a pizza cutter or knife. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pie crust crackers are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Break into pieces and serve with the chicken pot pie soup.