ANDES MINT CUPCAKES
The best homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with thick and creamy mint frosting. These cupcakes taste just like the Andes mint candy!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (105 grams) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180 milliliters) milk
For the frosting
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, soft
- 3 cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-4 drops green food coloring
- chocolate mint candies, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 20 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, butter, and sugars until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternating with the milk, begin and end with the flour mixture. Beat until well blended.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the paper lined muffin pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few dry crumbs. Remove cupcakes immediately from pans, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cream, and peppermint extract. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the food coloring. Beat until blended. Top the cupcake with the frosting. Decorate with chocolate mint candies if desired.