Vegan Tex Mex Egg Rolls
Vegan egg rolls filled with taco tofu, black beans, corn and cilantro. With an avocado buttermilk ranch dip!
- 1/2 Block Extra firm tofu (about 8 oz.)
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 C. Black beans, canned
- 1/2 C. Corn, canned
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Taco seasoning
- 1/4 C. Cilantro
- 8-10 Egg roll wrappers, vegan (I used Dynasty)
- Oil for frying
Vegan Avocado Buttermilk Ranch Dip
- 1 Small Avocado
- 1 C. Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Green onions, chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Dill, fresh
- 1/4 C. Parsley, fresh
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan on medium high.
- Squeeze the half block of tofu over the sink, squeezing as much liquid out as you can. It is okay if it starts to crumble, you will be crumbling it anyways.
- Next, crumble the tofu into the non stick pan. Break up any large pieces with a wooden spoon. Press the crumbled tofu into the pan and saute, reducing heat as needed for a few minutes, until the tofu is starting to brown, then toss and press back into the pan. Repeat until all of the tofu is light brown.
- Then add about half the taco seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Now, drain the black beans and corn, then add them to the pan. Stir to combine and add the remaining taco seasoning. At this point if the black beans and corn don't have enough liquid to mix around the seasoning, add a splash of water.
- Saute for another minute to heat the black beans and corns. Remove from the heat.
- Next, begin to heat about 1/2 an inch of light oil in a skillet on medium high.
- Now, make the egg rolls, take one wrapper, place a line of about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center. Then place a few cilantro leaves on top of that. Then fold the sides on to it. Then roll the entire thing. Rub a little water on the end to seal the egg roll. Repeat with all the filling.
- When the oil is hot, place a few egg rolls in the oil at a time, seam side down. Fry on each side for a minute or two until they are nice a brown.
- Make the dip if you are using it, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside for a minute.
- Now cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scrap all of the avocado into a blender. Then add the almond milk and remaining dip ingredients. Blend, scraping down sides as needed until it is nice and smooth. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- When all the egg rolls are done and so is the dip, serve immediately!
- Recipe Notes
- I have made a variation by adding vegan cheese to the egg rolls before frying. Which is totally delicious and a great option if you are so inclined.
- These egg rolls can be baked as well! Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Place the egg rolls on the pan, seam side down. Spray the tops with more non stick spray and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes!